Banner
 
Home

Amarillo, Texas

Back
Palo Duro


Palo Duro Canyon State Park

People have lived in the canyon for 12,000 years. The earliest settlers were nomadic tribes that hunted mammoth and giant bison. Apache, Comanche, and later Kiowa Indians lived in the canyon until 1874. At that time, Col. Ranald Mackenzie was sent into the area to transport the Native Americans to Oklahoma.

In 1876, Charles Goodnight entered the canyon and opened the JA Ranch. At its peak, the ranch supported more than 100,000 head of cattle. The JA Ranch remains a working ranch today although smaller in size.

Today the Canyon is a State Park used by campers, hikers, and artists, and the local for a Famous Theatre that each year performs the play "Texas."


Palo Duro Painters

 

Cadillac Ranch

Located along historic Route 66 the Cadillac Ranch was built in 1974 by Stanley Marsh 3, the helium millionaire. The ten graffiti-laden Cadillac wrecks are half-buried, nose-down, facing west "at the same angle as the Cheops' pyramids."

In 1997 Marsh moved the Caddies two miles west to the middle of a field on his ranch. Standley Marsh 3 encourages ever-mutating layers of painted graffiti by a never ending stream of gawkers.

Cadillac Ranch
Home Austin, Texas Back