St. Augustine Lighthouse
the oldest permanent European settlement on the North American continent,
is known as the Old City. Don Juan Ponce de Leon discovered
La Florida, the “Land of Flowers," in 1513 for Spain.
Near St. Augustine the Matanzas River empties into the Atlantic, flowing
past barrier islands named Anastasia and Conch. On the northern end of
Anastasia Island, several towers have been built through the years overlooking
the inlet that leads to St. Augustine. Early on, the Spanish constructed
a wooden lookout tower. Later, a more permanent tower was built using
blocks of coquina that was formed as large deposits of shells were cemented
together over time by calcium carbonate.