center of Bratislava is called Old Town. Bratislava's Town Hall is
of buildings erected in the 14th–15th centuries
that now hosts the Bratislava City Museum. Michael's Gate is the only
gate that has been preserved from the medieval fortifications, and it
ranks among the oldest of the town's buildings.
The historic centre is characterised by many baroque palaces. The Grassalkovich
Palace, built around 1760, is now the residence of the Slovak president,
and the Slovak government now has its seat in the former Archiepiscopal
Palace. In 1805, emperors Napoleon and Francis II signed the fourth
Peace of Pressburg in the Primate's Palace.
cathedrals and churches include the Gothic St. Martin's Cathedral built
13th–16th centuries, which served as the coronation
church for the kings and queens of Hungary between
1563 and 1830.